- Significant patient safety concerns were raised by trainees starting their first post with neonatal duties.
- Trainees new to Paediatrics feel particularly anxious about working with neonates and many felt inadequately trained to attend deliveries and initiate resuscitation.
- Previous trainees recommended completing NLS before starting their neonatal posts.
When and where?
- We responded by organizing specific NLS courses for new ST1s coinciding with School- wide ST1 induction.
- This year the program will extend to 3 courses providing all new London ST1 trainees the opportunity to attend:
- Friday 28th August, Whipps Cross Hospital (North East London), Course Director: Dot Timms (Dot.Timms@nullbartshealth.nhs.uk)
- Thursday 3rd September (the day before the School induction for ST1s), Croydon (South London), Course Director: Grant Marais (Grant.Marais@nullcroydonhealth.nhs.uk)
- Thursday 3rd September, (the day before the School induction for ST1s), Queen Charlottes (North West London), Course Administrator: Jasmeet Choda (Jasmeeta.email@example.com)
When NLS is completed before starting in neonates:
- trainees feel more confident attending deliveries and initiating resuscitation
- trainers observe that trainees are better prepared.
- NLS courses will be offered to each new cohort of ST1 trainees.
- Courses are combined with several specific recommendations developed to support trainees in their neonatal posts (link to Recommendations for supporting ST1 trainees in Neonates).
We are grateful to the Course Directors and Training Program Directors involved for their hard work and support.
Nicholas Hoque, Shuang Wang, Mando Watson