Across London, paediatric trainees and trainers are focusing on acute paediatrics and paediatric intensive care. Here are some ideas to think about.
Children account for 25-30% of all emergency department attendances in the UK. Acute paediatrics requires rapid and pragmatic decision making, and early recognition of the critically ill child. Acute paediatrics forms a major part of general paediatric training, and trainees can also consider subspecialty training in Paediatric Emergency Medicine.
Paediatric intensive care physicians are specialists in the resuscitation, stabilisation, transfer, and treatment of critically ill and injured children. Intensivists have anaesthetic and paediatric knowledge, good procedural skills, and the ability to provide leadership in challenging circumstances. PICUs also work to provide holistic care to children with life threatening conditions and their families. Paediatric trainees may work on PICU during their training, and they may also choose to pursue an HDU Spin module or PICM subspecialty training.
- The RCPCH PICU curriculum can be found: http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/page/August%202016%20Paediatric%20Intensive%20Care%20Medicine%20Curriculum.pdf
- Competencies required for acute general paediatric presentations are listed under each specialty within the RCPCH general paediatrics curriculum: http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/system/files/protected/page/August%202016%20General%20Paediatrics%20Curriculum.pdf
Courses and Resources
- RSM Day: Acute paediatrics & PICU, Wednesday 4th October 2017
- Paediatric care online – key practice points and online learning provided by RCPCH: http://pcouk.org/PracticePoints.aspx
- RCPCH emergency and urgent care – policy updates and clinical guidelines: http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/emergencycare
- RCPCH courses: http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/events/courses
- Paediatric FOAMed from London School of Paediatrics: https://www.paediatricfoam.com/category/acute-paediatrics/
- Association for paediatric emergency medicine – information on working in PEM, and sub-specialty training https://www.apem.me.uk/index.php
Paediatric Intensive Care Units
- Paediatric intensive care society UK – resources and training courses for PICU trainees. http://picsociety.uk/education-training/courses-for-pics-trainees/
- CATS guideline and emergency calculator: http://site.cats.nhs.uk/in-a-hurry/cats-clinical-guidelines/
- GOSH ITU – Modular teaching guides: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/health-professionals/clinical-specialties/paediatric-and-neonatal-intensive-care-information-health-professionals/training-doctors