Many thanks to all of the trainees, College Tutors and Training Programme Directors who contributed to such a good afternoon of discussions to follow on from the superb pan London activities earlier in the day: http://www.londonpaediatrics.co.uk/all-news/sharing-best-practice-and-spreading-good-ideas/
We are trying to use this time for two main things (1) to explore, discuss and make improvements to training issues and opportunities across the sector and also (2) to work together over a 12 month period as a ‘quality improvement collaborative’.
We discussed in some detail the issue about how many trainees do not get paediatric intensive care experience in their first few years of training, and explored how with changing, more network based, service delivery models, there may be opportunities to increase these opportunities. We also debated how we might test out establishing some sort of structured Level 1 training, based around the learning from the case exchange. The plan is for a proposal to be worked up and discussed over the coming weeks and then presented in the January meeting (23rd Jan 2018).
We finished by working up the aims and driver diagrams for the 3 project we have decided to work on together:
- Improving the quality of educational supervision
- Improving morale & resilience across trainees and trainers
- Introducing some ‘random acts of kindness’ into our workplaces
We are basing this work around the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s ‘Model for Improvement’ http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/default.aspx and will use an hour of each meeting to help support everyone to embed this work in their local units.
You can have a look as to how far we got, and indeed contribute with edits and comments in our cloud based QI Project Management software ‘Life QI’ https://www.lifeqisystem.co.uk/ We will keep working on the driver diagrams over the coming weeks and then begin to think about how we might measure whether any changes we make are an improvement.
So – three things for everyone to do before the meeting in November:
- If you have not already then register and then log in to Life QI and have a look around the site – there are lots of teaching resources and other projects to look at. You can also edit and improve our driver diagrams for our three projects.
- Have a further look at existing evidence, the grey literature, reports from other organisations (both within and outside healthcare) and talk to colleagues about what ideas are out there that might help us with our three themes.
- Make sure you have the 4th Tuesday afternoons of January, March, May etc etc in your diaries as the new meeting times for 2018
Very best wishes for the festive period and we will really look forward to meeting up again in the New Year.